A deadly new Ebola outbreak in the eastern province of Ituri, Congo, has claimed 65 lives, prompting health authorities to urgently investigate the virus's strain and prepare for a possible regional spread. The Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) confirmed on Friday that suspected cases have reached 246, with only four deaths so far laboratory-confirmed.
According to the Africa CDC, the outbreak is concentrated in Mongwalu and Rwampara health zones near the borders of Uganda and South Sudan. These areas are characterized by mining-related travel, weak infrastructure, and ongoing insecurity, which officials warn could facilitate a rapid spread. The World Health Organization (WHO) has dispatched an emergency response team to assist local authorities in investigating the outbreak.
"Healthcare workers are the group that I'm really concerned about because they had very close contact with people when they're most contagious, particularly around the time of folks' death," Dr. Craig Spencer, a public health professor at Brown University and former Ebola survivor from New York, told CBS News on Friday.
The Africa CDC is conducting tests to determine whether this new outbreak involves the deadliest strain, Ebola Zaire, or another variant. Initial results suggest that it may not be the same as the one responsible for Congo's 2018-2020 epidemic, which killed more than 1,000 people.
"The concern is always there," said Dr. Spencer, who himself survived Ebola in 2014 after contracting the virus during his aid work in West Africa. He expressed worries for healthcare workers dealing with this new outbreak due to their high risk of exposure.
This latest outbreak comes at a time when Congo continues to grapple with its history of Ebola epidemics, including one that lasted from 2018 to 2020 and another in 2023. The country has made significant strides in managing the virus but faces ongoing challenges due to regional instability.
Beyond immediate medical responses, there are broader implications for public health infrastructure and international cooperation. Uganda also confirmed one death related to a Congolese man who contracted Ebola while working or traveling near the borders of Ituri province, highlighting the potential for cross-border spread.
Analysts predict that if the new strain is indeed Ebola Zaire, it could pose significant challenges due to its high lethality and previous history. The Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA) has been instrumental in coordinating responses but faces ongoing funding constraints which may affect effectiveness.
Local health officials have emphasized the need for immediate containment measures while international partners like WHO continue their support. Meanwhile, public sentiment remains tense as people fear the return of an epidemic that once devastated parts of the country.
Key dates include May 2026 when Congo first reported suspected cases, and subsequent steps involve sample collection by WHO teams in collaboration with local authorities to confirm strain identification.
What happens next remains uncertain but will likely hinge on effective containment strategies. Authorities must balance rapid response measures with community engagement and education to prevent a wider outbreak. The international community watches closely as the situation evolves, ready to mobilize resources should it escalate into another regional crisis.
This article was produced by AVALW News on Saturday, May 16, 2026 based on reporting from 3 verified news sources across 2 countries. Our editorial process cross-references facts from multiple independent outlets to deliver accurate, comprehensive coverage. All original sources are linked below.
